Friday 2 March 2012

Inspired by one of Tora's latest posts...

It got me thinking.

About the focus of my life, in a more detailed way than they could ever ask us in school. I believe the possible answers to the question "What do you centre your life around?" were:

Friends: Well. It depends. My friends are very dear to me, and a huge part of my life, but I would never do something they were doing just for the sake of following the crowd, or change myself in a way that suits them, but not me. I could never do that. Yes, it means being on the outside sometimes; but there are more important things than being just the same as everybody else. I value my friends more than I can possibly say, but chances are if they want me to be someone I'm not I won't really stay friends with them for long.

Relationships: There are all kinds of relationships. Between friends, neighbours, family - a lot of my life is centred around relationships in that sense, the bonds I build with people and the connections I have with them - and yes, romantically, though the latter not so much lately. I'm okay with that.

Parents: Though I'm reluctant to discuss my very personal life on the internet, I can safely say that I know my parents have my back and thus they always have been, and always will be, a big part of my life. Not the centre, however.

Hobbies: yes. Definitely. I have less than Tora but the ones I do keep up I love and am very dedicated to. I put 100% into them no matter what, because if I don't feel like giving my all then surely it's not worth it in the first place. You have to be prepared to learn, develop and become comfortable with the activities and passions that are probably going to stay with you for the rest of your life, and I've known that for a long time.

Work: again, yes. Sometimes not willingly, but I work hard. I believe in perseverance and effort, and in doing what you have to get the job done. I enjoy the satisfaction of doing something right and hate the feeling of knowing I haven't done my best, so naturally I'm going to try to aim for the former. I know that the ability to graft and stand out from the crowd where laziness and sheer lack of interest reign will make me a better person.

Then there's also the kind of work you really want to do: like giving.

People never realize how easy it is just to give. To make someone else smile is just as simple as pleasing yourself. I do for others what I would want them to do for me, and though people don't always return this philosophy there's no harm in trying. Yes, this attitude has been moulded from an area of my life that most people will never experience, and the instinct of caring has probably been carved from the situation I have been in that I probably wouldn't wish on others, but I always hope people will ask and wonder why you might put aside material or unnecessary things - because someone else needs your help more than you need to be selfish. Sadly, this doesn't happen often enough, but I'm not a preacher and I'm usually content to keep myself to myself and keep going on with what I do already.

Stuff: no, not materialistically. But otherwise: yes, there is a good deal of stuff in my life. Mainly, however, the stuff includes things I have to do, and things I want to do. See my previous point.

So, no, my life is not centred on one thing. However, I think this is a good thing...obession in variation and moderation instead xD

Besides, I can answer yes to any one of the other suggested focuses -  Honesty, Fairness, Equality, and definitely Hard Work.

Ha. Turns out I'm more decisive than I thought!

Anyway. I'm worn out form all this thinking, so I'm off to catch up on a bit of writing.

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've made it this far, you might as well look through the blog archive...