Tuesday 2 April 2013

Write or Die


(It's not as bad as it sounds. I promise.)

Write or Die is not, as you may have first assumed, my motto in life - though it would be both suitably ironic and fitting. It is, in fact, a web app of extraordinary usefulness. It may even be the only useful app I've ever tried out. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Skeleton-Hand-Thing and Angry Birds.)

Basically, you have to keep writing of your own volition or it will make you. Depending on your word count and time limit, you could find yourself being persuaded into writing no matter how much you want to procrastinate through a variety of simple, yet effective, methods. Cue sirens blaring and terrible boy band music grabbing your attention as you wander distractedly into the realms of Pinterest and Tumblr. I'm not a big fan of negative reinforcement as a general rule, but this app replicates the feeling of pre-exam dread that forces most people into actually doing some work. Not a bad idea.

Check it out here.


There isn't much more I can say about it that you won't find on the website, but let me just say this: there has never been any greater motivation for me to write than the thoughts of being serenaded by Rick Astley at unrestricted volume.

Let's write, people!

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've made it this far, you might as well look through the blog archive...